Monday, August 24, 2020

My Favorite Things, John Coltrane

My Favorite Things, John Coltrane, 1961, :40

★ ★ ★ ★ ☆


The title track is the classic "Sound of Music" Rogers and Hammerstein song, turned to a 13-minute saxophone and piano instrumental heavily influenced by Eastern music.  Since I don't know anything about chords or musical modes or times, I can't really talk about this music except to say that I enjoy it.  Favorite tracks: well, there's only four songs on the album (with two single edits of the title track added to the "deluxe" version of the album), but the title track is a five-star classic, and Cole Porter's "Every Time We Say Goodbye" is also great.

Apart From the Crowd, Great Buildings

Apart From the Crowd , Great Buildings, 1981, :40 ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ Solid jangle-pop from a now largely-forgotten group featuring two guys who went ...