Sunday, August 2, 2020

Sound Affects, the Jam / Sillion, Johnny Flynn

Sound Affects, The Jam, 1980, :35 

★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I'm pretty familiar with the Jam.  I wasn't moved by this album, although I certainly recognize the greatness.  Maybe this one is just too experimental for me.  For example, "Music for the Last Couple" starts with some not unpleasant noises, then about 40 seconds of silence, then a pretty good song.  Why?  Favorite tracks: "That's Entertainment," "Start!"

--

Sillion, Johnny Flynn, 2017, :45 

★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I'm a huge fan of Flynn's masterwork, Alarum.  In comparison this one is kind of sleepy.  The problem is probably me.  This is an introspective, literate album.  It doesn't do to come to a conclusion after one quick listen.  But at an album or two a day, that's all I can give it for now.  Favorite Tracks: "In the Deepest," "Tarp in the Prop."

Apart From the Crowd, Great Buildings

Apart From the Crowd , Great Buildings, 1981, :40 ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ Solid jangle-pop from a now largely-forgotten group featuring two guys who went ...