Friday, September 25, 2020

Boy, U2

It's Finally-Got-Around-to-It-Friday!  Wherein I discover a classic that everyone else already knows about.

Boy, U2, 1980, :42

★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ 

I've never been much of a U2 fan.  I think their best album is Achtung Baby, and not much else interests me.  I was sort of too good for U2 in the late '80s because they were too recent for me.  They were that worst of things, a band that was still making music and was popular.  I listened to classic rock, man.  You trendy modern-day listeners and your pop music didn't know what was up.  So, yeah, that youthful misplaced pride might explain it.  But whatever the reason, this stuff just doesn't move me.  There's nothing here that would make me think these vehement, earnest, technically proficient, glossily-produced lads would become The World's Greatest Band any more than their contemporaries Big Country or The Alarm might.  The way Bono breathes "she cat" on "An Cat Dubh" really exemplifies how this band makes me roll my eyes more than nod along in admiration.  It's so... Intense and Important.  Not for me.  Favorite tracks: "I Will Follow," "Out of Control."

Apart From the Crowd, Great Buildings

Apart From the Crowd , Great Buildings, 1981, :40 ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ Solid jangle-pop from a now largely-forgotten group featuring two guys who went ...