Friday, December 4, 2020

Purple Rain, Prince

It's Finally-Got-Around-to-It-Friday! Wherein I discover a classic that everyone else already knows about.

Purple Rain, Prince, 1984, :43

★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Yeah, I know, it's the greatest album of all time, it's Prince, I'm an uncultured Philistine, etc. etc.  But this just isn't my thing.  I mean, the chorus of "When Doves Cry" is sublime; but the extended synth coda and yowling at the end is irritating.  And nearly nine minutes of "Purple Rain?"  Too much.  He's a musical phenomenon, Prince is, but this is all just so... Eighties.  Favorite tracks: "Let's Go Crazy," "Take Me With You."

===

....And now, having done this every day since July 29, I'm going to take a break from the album a day.  That album-per-year theme really took it out of me.  Also, Covid, responsibilities, end of democracy, and so forth.

Apart From the Crowd, Great Buildings

Apart From the Crowd , Great Buildings, 1981, :40 ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ Solid jangle-pop from a now largely-forgotten group featuring two guys who went ...