Wednesday, January 6, 2021

La Folie, the Stranglers

Continuing the alphabet of albums, F is for foot-tapping New Wave.

La Folie, the Stranglers, :1981, 41

★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I knew absolutely nothing about this band, but have since discovered that there's a sort of continuing argument amongst critics and the musicognescenti whether they are "punk" or "post punk" or "New Wave" or what. To which I say, I could not imagine a less interesting topic to talk about when discussing the band. I find it to be New Wave cool.  Maybe it's the technical skill of the playing that makes it less punk in my mind.  But that's as stupid a line to draw as crying "sell-out," and I don't really care to classify anyway.  There are some glossy synths and a bit too much shine on some parts (I'm not a big fan of the beeps and boops of "Pin Up") but the skill, and humor, and catchiness of the album overall make it a winner.  I like the deadpan urgency on "Let Me Introduce You to the Family." The very New Wave "Ain't Nothing to It" sounds like a more assured, less nerdy Devo.   Favorite tracks: "Non Stop" (a jaunty tune about a nun's lack of sexual frustration), "Everybody Loves You When You're Dead," the '60s-ish throwback "Golden Brown."

Apart From the Crowd, Great Buildings

Apart From the Crowd , Great Buildings, 1981, :40 ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ Solid jangle-pop from a now largely-forgotten group featuring two guys who went ...