Saturday, February 20, 2021

Her Second Album of Piano Solos With Drums Acc., Hazel Scott

It's Black music Month!


★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 

I had never heard of this artist, until I recently stumbled upon this article about her rise and fade.  I knew I had to seek her music out. Scott was a defiant, proud voice for equal rights, and paid the price for it, now largely forgotten. That's too bad, because she is a master of the piano, a true virtuoso. I browsed what little there is of her work on Spotify. She has a lot of smooth mood music, but I prefer this more rollicking, six-song EP (as we'd call it today). Favorites: "Hazel's Boogie Woogie," "Blues in B Flat," the frantic "Dark Eyes."

Apart From the Crowd, Great Buildings

Apart From the Crowd , Great Buildings, 1981, :40 ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ Solid jangle-pop from a now largely-forgotten group featuring two guys who went ...