Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Vivid, Living Colour

It's black music month!  Except I skipped the first week.

Vivid, Living Colour, 1988, :49

★ ★ ★ ★ ☆


I was a teen when this came out and it was a big deal in my early college years.  I think I was too young for it, or maybe this band was just too far ahead of their time.  I liked it, but I didn't pay too much attention to it, and that was a mistake, because this is a solid hard rock album.  I'm sure that way too much was made in the press of these guys being black and not just great rock musicians.  That kind of spotlight can put undue pressure on anyone. Favorite tracks: "Cult of Personality," "I Want to Know," "Open Letter (To a Landlord)."

Apart From the Crowd, Great Buildings

Apart From the Crowd , Great Buildings, 1981, :40 ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ Solid jangle-pop from a now largely-forgotten group featuring two guys who went ...