Friday, February 26, 2021

Wild is the Wind, Nina Simone

It's black music Month!

Wild is the Wind, Nina Simone, 1966, :38

★ ★ ★ ★ ☆


Nina Simone does torch songs.  The genre's not one of my very favorites, but she's just so good at it.  I discovered after listening to this album that it's actually a compilation of sessions left over from previous albums, but I wouldn't have known that without being told; there's a cohesiveness to it.  And, I didn't know that the title song is the same as the David Bowie's song, the only cover he put on a studio album, as a tribute to Simone.  Favorite tracks: "I Love Your Lovin' Ways," "Why Keep On Breaking My Heart," with its shuffling percussion, "Break Down And Let It All Out."

Apart From the Crowd, Great Buildings

Apart From the Crowd , Great Buildings, 1981, :40 ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ Solid jangle-pop from a now largely-forgotten group featuring two guys who went ...