Friday, March 26, 2021

Germ Free Adolescents, X-Ray Spex

It's week two of women week!

Germ Free Adolescents, X-Ray Spex, 1978, :36

★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

A brilliant punk debut.  Singer Poly Styrene, whose delivery reminds me of the Buzzcocks' Pete Shelley, rages against consumerist culture and conformity and exploitation with strident sincerity.  Strong melodies and a buzzing saxophone make this stand out among early '70s punk albums.  I'm just sorry I didn't tune into this three decades ago; what a chump I've been!  Favorite tracks: "Art-I-Ficial," "Obsessed With You," "Germ Free Adolescents," "Warrior in Woolworth."

Apart From the Crowd, Great Buildings

Apart From the Crowd , Great Buildings, 1981, :40 ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ Solid jangle-pop from a now largely-forgotten group featuring two guys who went ...