Thursday, March 18, 2021

Last Splash, the Breeders

It's Wimmen Week!

Last Splash, the Breeders, 1993, :39

★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆


Kim Deal's side project that was bigger than the Pixies, the Breeders rock pretty hard.  There's a lot of distortion, pell-mell drumming, and buzzy riffs that come in waves.  Unfortunately, there's also some of that droning, lo-fi stuff that was so big in the '90s and which I just can't get my rock 'n' roll brain to admire.  So while this is a strong album, and the high points are great, I think there are also some skippable tracks.  So I simply don't find myself as enthused about it as I might be, as a whole album.  I want to say three and a half stars?  At the moment of writing, anyway.  Favorite tracks: "Cannonball," "Invisible Man," "Drivin' on 9," Divine Hammer."

Apart From the Crowd, Great Buildings

Apart From the Crowd , Great Buildings, 1981, :40 ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ Solid jangle-pop from a now largely-forgotten group featuring two guys who went ...