Saturday, July 3, 2021

Carnavas, Silversun Pickups

Carnavas, Silversun Pickups, 2006, :56

★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

This buzzy, shoegaze type of indie is really not my thing. This album was suggested by Spotify, which normally is a good source of new-to-me music that matches my tastes. But I found it to be a snorefest.  I guess I just can't get past that dead affect, low-fi buzz.  It works, most of the time, for Yo La Tengo.  But these guys sound like Elf Power on Xanax. On the plus side, "Checkered Floor" has a few rockin' moments. But the last song ends with 1:45 of fuzz noise. No thank you! Favorite track: "Dream at Tempo 119," which true to its title manages to speed up enough to sound awake, at least.

Apart From the Crowd, Great Buildings

Apart From the Crowd , Great Buildings, 1981, :40 ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ Solid jangle-pop from a now largely-forgotten group featuring two guys who went ...