Thursday, July 29, 2021

Have a Ball, Me First & The Gimme Gimmes

Have a Ball, Me First & the Gimme Gimmes, 1997, :28

★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Fast punk-pop versions of classic songs.  That's what this group does, to the exclusion of all else.  So they're sort of a one-note joke band.  Now, I love punk covers, and I love fast songs.  But a little bit of this goes a long way.  And listening to this, I rarely got the sense that the band felt they were making the song their own, just doing a punk version.  When Lars Fredericksen covers Billy Bragg's "To Have And To Have Not," it's because they're coming from the same working-class hunger and resentment.  This album is not that.  So it leaves me unmoved for the most part.  And to top it all off, while I'm no expert, I thought audio-wise it had a very muddy mix.  Favorite tracks: "Leaving On a Jet Plane," "Mandy," "One Tin Soldier."

Apart From the Crowd, Great Buildings

Apart From the Crowd , Great Buildings, 1981, :40 ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ Solid jangle-pop from a now largely-forgotten group featuring two guys who went ...