Thursday, July 8, 2021

Let's Get Out of This Country, Camera Obscura

Let's Get Out of This Country, Camera Obscura, 2006, :39

★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Have only maybe just barely heard of this band, but knew nothing about them before today.  It's a delicate Scottish indie pop band, like my beloved Belle and Sebastian!  There is a certain similarity.  Gander at these lyrics and tell me Stuart or Stuart wouldn't sing them: "Fed up of girls in pretty dresses / With boys who want to teach them a lesson / Sick of the sight of my old lover / Went under sheets and covers to get away from him."  Very Sebastianish.  They hate to be called twee pop, but it's just an apt description!  Vocalist Tracyanne Campbell has such an ethereal, beautiful voice as she sings of heartbreak, affairs, and infatuation.  Favorite tracks: "Lloyd, I'm Ready To Be Heartbroken," "Tears For Affairs," "Come Back Margaret," "I Need All the Friends I Can Get."

Apart From the Crowd, Great Buildings

Apart From the Crowd , Great Buildings, 1981, :40 ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ Solid jangle-pop from a now largely-forgotten group featuring two guys who went ...