Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Minute By Minute, Doobie Brothers

Minute By Minute, Doobie Brothers, 1978, :37

★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆


The Kenny Loggins-written "What a Fool Believes" is a major hit that I've heard on the radio countless times, but I don't think I ever put together that it's by the Doobies.  Actually, I'm not that familiar with them and have never heard anything but the radio hits.  So I may not be the best judge of this, which seems to be to be super glossy white funk pop, like if Steely Dan were in love with funk instead of jazz.  Apparently their sound changed a lot over the years and this is their most commercially album.  It's a bit too AOR for me.  Favorite tracks: "What a Fool Believes," the bluegrass instrumental "Steamer Lane Breakdown," the almost actually funky "Dependin' On You."

Apart From the Crowd, Great Buildings

Apart From the Crowd , Great Buildings, 1981, :40 ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ Solid jangle-pop from a now largely-forgotten group featuring two guys who went ...