Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Southland Mission, Phil Cook

It’s What-the-Hell-is-This-Wednesday! Wherein I listen to something I know absolutely nothing about. 

Southland Mission
, Phil Cook, 2015, :32

★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

No idea who this guy is (he's played in some bands I've heard of or heard only snippets of) or why I picked this retro '60s album cover to play.  The spirit just struck me.  He plays what Wikipedia calls "freak-folk."  It's sort of a neo-folk, an acoustic folk-blues-rock, I guess, somewhat akin to a cheerier aSon Volt or a more bluesy Golden Smog.  On the album cover he looks like Jerry Garcia's spiritual nephew.  This album starts off strong with two catchy, uptempo songs, but then settles down to a more sleepy groove.  He's a fine musician, but I found myself not listening very carefully to most of the album, even at a brisk 32 minutes.  Favorite tracks: "Ain't It Sweet," "1922," "Gone."  

Apart From the Crowd, Great Buildings

Apart From the Crowd , Great Buildings, 1981, :40 ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ Solid jangle-pop from a now largely-forgotten group featuring two guys who went ...