Saturday, August 14, 2021

That's My Story, John Lee Hooker

That's My Story, John Lee Hooker, 1960, :44

★ ★ ★  ☆

The king of Delta blues delivers a restrained, ruminative set of folk blues.  His voice is as haunting as ever, but some of the songs lack that rolling beat that Hooker is famous for.  In its place are softly moaned lyrics and the space between sparse notes.  Hooker's skill and craft are impeccable, but I decided to rate this one a three simply because this style of restrained blues isn't quite my style.  Favorite tracks: "I Need Some Money" (actually an adaptation of Berry Gordy's "Money (That's What I Want)," with what seem to be a few added lyrics; "I'm Wanderin';" "No More Doggin'."

Apart From the Crowd, Great Buildings

Apart From the Crowd , Great Buildings, 1981, :40 ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ Solid jangle-pop from a now largely-forgotten group featuring two guys who went ...