Saturday, May 6, 2023

The Fame Monster, Lady Gaga

The Fame Monster, Lady Gaga, 2009, :34

★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

A dance-pop album with a rough overall concept of the dark side of fame.  (Apparently as a sort of addendum to her huge album The Fame, which I didn't know.)  So, this is this era's Madonna, only, you know, darker.  It's not really my thing, not made for me.  But it's good; I appreciate it for what it is, even if it isn't what moves me.  For example, the line "Baby likes to dance in the dark / Because when he looks at her, she falls apart" is a great line, but I'm an old man.  I don’t need to hear it a thousand times over a dance beat.  I knew what genre it was when I first spun the black circle (read: played it on Spotify), but when something has sold 18 million records, you kind of have to give it a try, right?  Favorite tracks: "Bad Romance," "Teeth," the Queen-inspired "Speechless."

Apart From the Crowd, Great Buildings

Apart From the Crowd , Great Buildings, 1981, :40 ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ Solid jangle-pop from a now largely-forgotten group featuring two guys who went ...