Saturday, May 8, 2021

I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One, Yo La Tengo

It's the title word count-up to ten! Eight words.

I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One, Yo La Tengo, 1997, 1:07

★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Now, Yo La Tengo isn't always my personal cup of tea.  My tastes run more toward the literate muscular folk or punk than fuzzy indie pop.  However, I generally admire their albums and their musicianship. This album, however, just doesn't do it for me.  Ethereal, delicate, skillful, buried muttered vocals always leave me wanted a bit more clarity.  Those softly crooning vocals are just... very... very.... soporific to me. "Stockholm Syndrome" sounds like Uncle Tupelo. The only places that a song really breaks out are in the Beach Boys cover and "Sugar Cube." But "Spec Bebop" is a 10 1/2 minute long instrumental with feedback and fuzziness, ugh.  They also cover "We're an American Band," turned unrecognizable in a cloud of fuzz.  Favorite tracks: "Sugar Cube," "Little Honda," "Stockholm Syndrome."

Apart From the Crowd, Great Buildings

Apart From the Crowd , Great Buildings, 1981, :40 ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ Solid jangle-pop from a now largely-forgotten group featuring two guys who went ...