Sunday, May 9, 2021

Everyone Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We?, the Cranberries

It's the title word count-up to ten! Nine words.

Everyone Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We?, the Cranberries, 1993, :41

★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I'm quite surprised by this album, which I idiotically dismissed as "pop" when it came out because it was new and I was a hip dude who only listened to old music, because old music is great, and new music sucks, except now this album is old, and it's good now.  Good lord, I was a pretentious little jerk.  Anyhoo, this debut album, while perhaps slightly overlong (I'd cut out a couple of tracks), features some astonishing songwriting chops right out of the gate by Dolores, whom I'm sure I dismissed at the time as just a pretty face with a voice, because I was a pretentious jerk.  Favorite tracks: "Dreams," "Linger," "Sunday," and "Still Can't..."

Apart From the Crowd, Great Buildings

Apart From the Crowd , Great Buildings, 1981, :40 ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ Solid jangle-pop from a now largely-forgotten group featuring two guys who went ...