Wednesday, September 30, 2020

City Sun Eater in the River of Light, Woods

It’s What-the-Hell-is-This-Wednesday! Wherein I listen to something I know absolutely nothing about.


★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 

Odd album name, impenetrable band name, and primitivist drawing of a skull on the cover?  I'm in!  I'm not sure what to call this music.  Maybe psychedelic-folk-funk?  At times it approaches blue-eyed soul.  At times it's sort of druggy and spaced out.  At times it's even eerie, in a laid-back, hippie kind of way.  Some, like "Sun City Creeps," showcase reggae beats.  This array of styles is cohesive, though, with pop hooks and skilled instrumentation; it all sounds confident and assured, not like dabbling or dilettantism.  The falsetto singing lends the whole an unearthly quality, but I did find myself wishing there was another voice or two to give a vocal range to match the musical innovation.  A very pleasant discovery.  Favorite tracks: "Hollow Home," "Creature Comfort."

Apart From the Crowd, Great Buildings

Apart From the Crowd , Great Buildings, 1981, :40 ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ Solid jangle-pop from a now largely-forgotten group featuring two guys who went ...