Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Flower of Devotion, Dehd

It’s T’Newsday! Wherein I listen to an album less than six months old. 

Flower of Devotion, Dehd, July 17 2020, :38

★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I don't even know how to begin to characterize this.  A power trio.  Low-fi, DYI garage-surf-pop?  The male and female shared vocals, there are shades of Imperial Teen, catchy hooks just peeking out of the fuzz.  Both vocalists use their voices as instruments, growling, yelping, screaming, pleading, whispering.  The drumming is sparse and moody.  Lots of tricks in their bag; each song has its own discrete tone and structure. The songs are taut and emotional, the lyrics simplistic and raw, heart-on-the-sleeve.  "I am a flood for you."  "Do you want to disappear with me?"  "I feel myself falling apart."  "Here's to this hoping / Taking a wing / I want to show you / You are my dream."  "You only want me when you're sad / And I got no time for it."  Favorite tracks: "No Time," "Flood," "Apart."

Apart From the Crowd, Great Buildings

Apart From the Crowd , Great Buildings, 1981, :40 ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ Solid jangle-pop from a now largely-forgotten group featuring two guys who went ...