Monday, September 14, 2020

Milo Goes To College, Descendents

It’s Manic Monday! Wherein I listen to a rocker, a punker, or just a general banger. 

Milo Goes To College, Descendents, 1982, :22

★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've heard a few Descendents songs here and there but never got into them, although all my punk friends in college thought they were the best things since pressed wax.  So I tried this, their first full album and one of the most influential albums of the hardcore California punk sound.  It's just not for me.  I wouldn't call this bad necessarily, but a little too raw for my taste.  The lads' enthusiasm is certainly to be commended, but their straightforward, juvenile, unsubtle lyrics and the lack of a nice crunchy punk riff or shout-along chorus make me lose interest.  Favorite track: "Suburban Home" is Ramones-like minimalism; "Bikeage" is pretty catchy.

Apart From the Crowd, Great Buildings

Apart From the Crowd , Great Buildings, 1981, :40 ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ Solid jangle-pop from a now largely-forgotten group featuring two guys who went ...