Tuesday, September 15, 2020

SUGAREGG, Bully

It’s T’Newsday! Wherein I listen to an album less than six months old.

SUGAREGG, Bully, August 21 2020, :38

★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Never heard of this band, but I saw a few positive reviews and wanted to give it a try.  It's a grunge-punk therapy session.  Singer Alicia Bognanno shouts, growls, and croons personal lyrics about her bipolar disorder over surging riffs and waves of melodic noise.  The loud-quiet, sweet-shrill delivery reminds me of the Kelley Deal 6000 or Sleater-Kinney.  That harsh to honeyed sound is definitely a retro one but it's effective, with a modern approach to soul-baring millennial angst lyrics: "And I feel pressure to get away / Everyone just settles in this space / And there's so much more that I could do / Than fucking around staring down at my dirty shoes."  It took me a few listens to dig the melodies out from the roar of pain and loud guitar, but I warmed up to it.  Favorite tracks: "Stuck In Your Head," "What I Wanted."

Apart From the Crowd, Great Buildings

Apart From the Crowd , Great Buildings, 1981, :40 ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ Solid jangle-pop from a now largely-forgotten group featuring two guys who went ...