Tuesday, September 22, 2020

See Here, I Have Built You a Mansion, Josh Ritter

It’s T’Newsday! Wherein I listen to an album less than six months old.

See Here, I Have Built You a Mansion, Josh Ritter, August 28 2020, :30

★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I love me some Josh Ritter!  This eight-song rare and unreleased collection shows that even the stuff he leaves on the floor is gold.  "Time Is Wasting" is a jaunty Ritter-esque romp that brings to mind "Getting Ready To Get Down," one of his best works.  Catchy tunes and literate, exuberant lyrics mark nearly all the songs on this disc.  It includes a version of "Lawrence, KS" recorded live in Lawrence, Kansas, which is a cute gimmick, and a cover of Dire Straits' "Brothers In Arms," a poetic song about war, but which is so somnolent it puts coffee to sleep.  Oh well, six out of eight ain't bad, and if my math is correct, that's exactly the same ratio as four out of five stars.  Favorite tracks: "Time Is Wasting," "Haunt," 'Waiting On You."

Apart From the Crowd, Great Buildings

Apart From the Crowd , Great Buildings, 1981, :40 ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ Solid jangle-pop from a now largely-forgotten group featuring two guys who went ...