Tuesday, September 1, 2020

The Madcap Laughs, Syd Barrett

The Madcap Laughs, Syd Barrett, 1970, :37

★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I know all about Barrett's craziness and his reluctant expulsion from Pink Floyd, but have only heard his second album, Barrett.  This debut album is a bit thinner, less sure of what it wants to say.  The first half of the album is quirky, ragged fun; it seems like the thrill is gone during the last six songs.  I know I should assess the album on its own merits and not compare it to its younger brother, but I knew Barrett first. That's love, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.  Favorite tracks: "Love You," "Here I Go," "Octopus."

Apart From the Crowd, Great Buildings

Apart From the Crowd , Great Buildings, 1981, :40 ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ Solid jangle-pop from a now largely-forgotten group featuring two guys who went ...