Wednesday, September 2, 2020

You Look a Lot Like Me, Mel Blum

It’s What-the-Hell-is-This-Wednesday! Wherein I listen to something I know absolutely nothing about.

You Look a Lot Like Me, Mel Blum, 2015, :37

★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I have never heard of this person, who is not famous enough to have their own Wikipedia page. They are apparently a nonbinary transgender individual. It’s very good stuff! I would call this folk punk, or maybe anti-folk. Catchy, introspective, emotive. Their voice and lyrical themes and tempo sounds like Kimya Dawson or that small brunette in Garfunkel and Oates, but deciding to play good music this time. "But I'm not much of a networker / Unless you like non-sequiturs / About mold or ghosts or chubby little dogs." This reference won't mean anything to anyone, but it reminds me of acoustic punk band Defiance, Ohio. Like them, Blum deserves to be more widely known. Favorite tracks: "Reality TV," "The Shrink Thinks," "Better Than I Was."

Apart From the Crowd, Great Buildings

Apart From the Crowd , Great Buildings, 1981, :40 ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ Solid jangle-pop from a now largely-forgotten group featuring two guys who went ...