Wednesday, October 21, 2020

One Trick Pony, Paul Simon

Currently doing one album for each year, 1960-2020. Today: 1980.

One Trick Pony, Paul Simon, 1980, :38

★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆


I'm a big Paul Simon fan from way back. I have most of his albums and have seen him in concert at least twice. I never got around to this one, a soundtrack album for a a film that Simon also starred in. It's new to me except for the Afro-Cuban-tinged hit "Late in the Evening."  Sadly, aside from that first terrific single, I was disappointed.  I hate to give a musical titan like Paul Simon only three stars, but this is a pretty somnolent affair.  The reissue of this album includes the funky "Stranded in a Limousine," which made it on his earlier Greatest Hits, Etc. album; it would improved One-Trick Pony.  Favorite track: "Late in the Evening," the duet "Ace in the Hole."

Apart From the Crowd, Great Buildings

Apart From the Crowd , Great Buildings, 1981, :40 ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ Solid jangle-pop from a now largely-forgotten group featuring two guys who went ...