Friday, November 20, 2020

The Brutalist Bricks, Ted Leo and the Pharmacists

Currently doing one album for each year, 1960-2020. Today: 2010.

The Brutalist Bricks, Ted Leo and the Pharmacists, 2010, :41

★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

For quite some time I have heard good things about and from this band.  So I started this one up with great expectations.  Gradually, I became disappointed.  It's... well, it's a standard rock album.  At times, like on "Even Heroes Have To Die," I was reminded of that '90s indie jangle-rock sound like the Rembrandts and Soul Asylum.  It's a very strong rock album, written and played with skill. don't get me wrong. I just expected... more, something hard-hitting.  Oh, there are hard-hitting tracks ("The Stick"), but there's no overarching cohesion.  Favorite tracks: "Where Was My Brain," "End of Days."

Apart From the Crowd, Great Buildings

Apart From the Crowd , Great Buildings, 1981, :40 ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ Solid jangle-pop from a now largely-forgotten group featuring two guys who went ...