Tuesday, August 3, 2021

England Keep My Bones, Frank Turner

England Keep My Bones, Frank Turner, 2011, :44

★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Frank Turner, whom I consider a god among elder punk statesmen, was I believe at the peak of his powers when he released this stunning album.  Featuring twelve (in the original release) solid songs based on the twin themes of England and death, there's nary a stumble to be found, and the high points are dizzyingly high.  Turner is jaded and tired as the rest of us, but in song he fights the urge to give up by preaching optimism and unity.  Favorite tracks: "One Foot Before the Other," a masterwork; "I Still Believe;" "If I Ever Stray;" "Redemption;" the defiant and hopeful "Glory Hallelujah."

Apart From the Crowd, Great Buildings

Apart From the Crowd , Great Buildings, 1981, :40 ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ Solid jangle-pop from a now largely-forgotten group featuring two guys who went ...