Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Real Animal, Alejandro Escovedo

Real Animal, Alejandro Escovedo, 2008, :50

★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I know almost nothing about this rocker, what his story is, what genre he adheres most to, etc.  I came to this album a blank slate and came away thinking, "It's a banger of an opener followed by some filler."  After another listen, though, I realized that dismissal was harsh and unfair.  There are definitely some other strong spots on the album, and it's solid musically.  I don't have much to say about it.  It's a rock album, performed by a guy who does rock music.  I vacillated between giving it three or four stars and settled on three; the high points don't fully justify the fifty minute length.  Favorite tracks: "Always a Friend," "Sister Lost Soul," "Chip 'N' Tony."

Apart From the Crowd, Great Buildings

Apart From the Crowd , Great Buildings, 1981, :40 ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ Solid jangle-pop from a now largely-forgotten group featuring two guys who went ...