Thursday, August 5, 2021

Labour Of Lust, Nick Lowe

Labour Of Lust, Nick Lowe, 1979, :39

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Elvis Costello's idol and collaborator is not someone I ever paid attention to much, despite being a superfan of the Little Hands of Concrete.  This is yet another in a series of albums that showed my I came to my senses much too late.  This is a spectacular album, full of wit, pop hooks, and occasional weirdness.  I loved the eclectic virtuosity of the album, from swaggering pub rock to crooning ("You Make Me") New Wave pop to country-rock ("Without Love") to modern folk (Endless Grey Ribbon").  "Switchboard Susie" is a litany of telephone-related sexual double entendres; I was hugely tickled by the wit it displays, and so was somewhat disappointed to find out it's a cover song.  Favorite tracks: "Cruel To Be Kind," "American Squirm," "Switchboard Susan," "Without Love."

Apart From the Crowd, Great Buildings

Apart From the Crowd , Great Buildings, 1981, :40 ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ Solid jangle-pop from a now largely-forgotten group featuring two guys who went ...